10 Tips on How to Live a Healthy Lifestyle
Want to know how to live a healthier lifestyle but need some help? We’ve put together the best tips on healthy living so you can get closer to your health and wellness goals.
What Is Healthy Living?
Living healthy is a combination of factors, including:
- Consuming a healthy, balanced diet
- Taking steps to improve your mental health
- Keeping your stress levels in check
- Taking proper safety precautions
- Balancing your work with hobbies you enjoy
- Maintaining an active social life
- Getting enough sleep
- Practising self-care
- Being physically active regularly
- Avoiding tobacco use
- Limiting alcohol consumption
Benefits of Healthy Living
The art of healthy living leads to many benefits, including:
- A natural increase in energy levels
- Improved physical health
- Improved mental health
- A natural boost in mood
- Improved confidence
- Reduced risk of illnesses and health problems
- An increased sense of control over your health and life
- Decreased spending (cutting down on smoking, sugar drinks, fast food, and junk food is a great way to save money)
10 Tips on How to Live a Healthy Lifestyle
Here are our top 10 tips on how to live a healthy lifestyle.
1. Eat a Healthy Diet
Eating a healthy diet that features a combination of whole grains, nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables, and whole foods is key to maintaining an ideal weight, preventing health problems, and supporting overall wellness.
By including a variety of foods in your diet, you ensure you are giving your body the nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals it needs to function at its best.
To make sure you are eating a healthy diet, aim to consume:
- Plenty of fruits and vegetables (a minimum of five servings a day)
- High-quality protein from lean meats, unsweetened yoghurt, eggs, fatty fish, and cheese
- Healthy fats
- Adequate fibre
- Nuts and seeds
- Whole grains such as oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, and buckwheat
- Whole eggs (yes, not just egg whites – despite being villainised for years, studies show whole eggs have minimal effect on cholesterol levels in healthy individuals)
2. Cut Back on Sugar and Salt
Consuming too much sugar or salt can have negative impacts on your health and put you at risk of conditions such as:
- Insulin resistance
- Tooth decay
- High blood pressure
- Weight gain
Try to keep your salt intake to less than 5 grams per day (about one teaspoon) and reduce your salt intake by:
- Avoiding salty snacks
- Choosing low-sodium versions of products when possible
- Removing salt or seasonings from your table
- Using spices and herbs to naturally season your meals
- Limiting your intake of soy sauce or other high-sodium condiments
Tips for reducing your sugar intake include:
- Avoiding sugary drinks
- Make your smoothies with berries and fruits for sweetness rather than buying pre-made juices or smoothies
- Limiting your intake of sugary snacks, baked goods, and candies
- Paying close attention to ingredient labels (even products such as pasta sauces and bread can contain a surprising amount of added sugar)
3. Avoid Restrictive Diets
Diets that are too restrictive are not sustainable and rarely work well in the long run. Restrictive diets can backfire by:
- Making food cravings worse
- Negatively affecting hunger and satiety hormones
- Lowering your metabolic rate
Instead of dieting, focus on nourishing your body instead of depriving it. An effective way to fuel your body and lose weight while still enjoying some of your favourite foods and treats is Intermittent Fasting.
Intermittent fasting places more focus on *when* you eat rather than *what* and is a scientifically proven way to lose weight and get healthier.
There are a variety of intermittent fasting methods, but Isagenix uses the 5:2 method and nutritional cleansing. With nutritional cleansing with Isagenix, individuals eat healthy for five days a week and participate in two Cleanse Days each week.
Rather than traditional cleanses that use harsh laxatives or severe calorie restrictions to promote weight loss, Isagenix cleanses use nourishing ingredients and targeted supplements to help you reach your weight loss goals.
By supporting the body’s natural cleansing abilities, Isagenix products can help promote lasting, effective weight loss.
Read all about What Is An Isagenix Cleanse Day here.
4. Follow Traffic Laws
Road crashes cause millions of injuries and deaths every year. However, many road traffic incidents can be prevented by following traffic laws and taking the following steps:
- Always wear a seatbelt
- Wear a helmet when riding a bicycle or motorcycle
- Never use your phone while driving
- Never drink and drive
- Use a proper child restraint for children
- Never drive while tired
- Do not drive distracted (applying makeup, playing with the radio, checking a text, etc.)
5. Reduce Your Intake of Trans Fats
There are different types of fats, such as saturated, unsaturated, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, and trans fats. While unsaturated fats from nuts, seeds, fish, and avocado can nourish the brain and fuel the body, trans fats are proven to contribute to health problems.
Trans fats are often found in:
- Frozen pizzas
- Baked goods
- Cooking oils and spreads
- Processed foods
To avoid trans fat, read ingredient labels carefully. If you see the words “hydrogenated oil” or “partially hydrogenated oil”, the product contains trans fat.
6. Be Physically Active
Regular physical activity is one of the key factors to maintaining good health. When possible, find an exercise that you enjoy so you stay motivated to stick with it for the long run. Try taking a hike on your favourite nature trail, participating in group dance classes, rock climbing with a friend, running, or mountain biking.
Individual physical activity recommendations vary, but the general guideline for individuals aged 18 to 64 is a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate-intense physical activity each week.
7. Get Enough Sleep
Poor sleep can lead to negative effects such as:
- Insulin resistance
- Weight gain and food cravings
- Disrupted appetite hormones
- Decreased physical performance
- Decreased focus
- Decreased energy
- Decreased motivation
To ensure a good night of sleep, try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day and create a bedtime routine that:
- Limits screen time
- Limits bright lights
- Includes calming activities such as diffusing lavender essential oil, a warm bath, or reading
8. Eat Fatty Fish
Fish is an excellent source of a wide array of nutrients, including high-quality protein, Omega 3 fatty acids to nourish the brain, vitamins, and minerals. While all fish can provide an excellent source of protein, fatty fish is especially healthy and nutrient-rich.
Aim to include several servings of fatty fish in your diet each week, including:
- Wild-caught salmon
9. Follow Safe Food Preparation Techniques
Consuming food that hasn’t been prepared or stored properly can lead to illness. To keep your food safe, be sure to:
- Cook foods thoroughly and for the recommended periods
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure your meat is heated to the proper point
- Keep your cooking area clean
- Wash hands thoroughly after handling raw meat
- Store leftovers immediately
- Keep raw food separate from cooked food
10. Don’t Consume Heavily Charred Meats
Meat can be an excellent source of protein and nutrients, but it is best to avoid eating burned or charred meat. When burned, harmful compounds can form in meat.
Instead, choose meat that is cooked to a healthy temperature but not charred. Or, try using a pressure cooker to cook your meat.
How to Develop Healthy Living Habits
The key to developing positive habits that you are more likely to keep is to:
- Start slowly by making one change at a time
- Reward yourself when you reach a goal
- If you slip up, brush it off and keep going
- Celebrate your accomplishments
- Maintain positive self-talk
- Have a family or friend to support you and keep you accountable
Want More Tips on How to Start Living a Healthier Lifestyle?
For more tips on healthy living, easy and healthy recipes, and fitness motivation, we invite you to browse our blog.
We also offer a collection of targeted supplements, high-quality meal replacement shakes, and healthy snacks to support your health and wellness goals. For personalised product recommendations, feel free to reach out to our team.