5 Habits of Healthy People
Are you looking to update your habits and work toward getting stronger, leaner, and healthier? If you want to improve your health but aren’t sure where to start, we’ve got you covered.
Here, we will look at the five habits of healthy people and easy ways to incorporate these healthy habits into your lifestyle.
And don’t worry. These habits aren’t strict, outrageous, or impossible to maintain. Rather, we only focus on sustainable, simple, and effective strategies to help you adopt healthy habits that you can adjust to slowly and stick with for a lifetime.
5 Habits of Healthy People
1. Drink Enough Water
Over half of our bodies are made up of water, so it makes sense that drinking enough water is one of the easiest ways to maintain our health.
Staying adequately hydrated can lead to a variety of benefits, including:
- More radiant skin
- Improved digestion
- Reduction in cravings
- Improved athletic performance
- A boost in energy
- Immune system support
To help turn drinking enough water into a habit, aim to drink half your body weight in ounces of water each day, keep a large reusable water bottle with you throughout the day, and try infusing your water with berries, lemon, or cucumber to add some natural flavour.
Be especially careful to avoid hydrating with sugary drinks and juices rather than water. If sugar drinks are part of your current habits, work on cutting them out by replacing one sugary drink a day with one cup of naturally flavoured water a day until you have cut them out completely.
2. Eat A Healthy, Balanced Diet
We all know how important a healthy, balanced diet is, but it can be hard to stick to healthy eating habits. Eating healthy can be especially tough during holiday seasons or times of stress.
Here are some easy tips for making eating healthier a habit:
- Aim to eat at least 2.5 cups of fruits and vegetables every day (sneak berries into your smoothies and oatmeal, add spinach to pasta dishes and omelettes, and find other ways to incorporate fruits and veggies into your meals)
- Plan your meals ahead of time
- Stick to your list when grocery shopping
- Do not grocery shop on an empty stomach
- Try a new fruit or vegetable or a healthy new recipe once a week
- Opt for whole grains such as oatmeal, brown rice, sprouted grains, and quinoa instead of processed, white versions
- Choose lean meats and fish instead of processed meat such as lunch meats, hot dogs, bacon, or sausage
- Limit sugary beverages such as soft drinks, fruit juices, and sports drinks
3. Plan Your Exercise
Staying active and stretching consistently is one of the most important aspects of a healthy lifestyle. Along with keeping the body strong and limber, exercise boasts a variety of mental benefits as well.
To ensure exercise becomes a habit, it needs to be a routine that is easy to stick to, something you look forward to, and a routine that delivers results.
Here are some easy tips for making exercise into a habit:
- Plan Ahead – Plan out your exercise routine at the start of each week to ensure you know how much time to set aside for your workouts.
- Switch Things Up To Avoid Boredom – Choose a variety of exercises to ensure you do not get bored. Try a hike one day, a spin class the next, a new yoga class, or an activity you have never tried before.
- Take Mini Exercise Breaks Throughout Your Day – Sneak in small chunks of exercise throughout your day. For example, if you have a lunch break at work, take 10 minutes of it to go for a small walk.
- Have Fun! – Find an exercise you enjoy and look forward to, especially if you struggle with traditional exercises or sticking to a routine. Think outside the box and try activities such as hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, surfing, boxing classes, group dance classes — whatever you find fun!
- Pay Attention to the Benefits – Make specific notes about the positive changes you feel after completing a workout (boost in mood, natural energy boost, reduced cravings, etc.) and remind yourself of these benefits any time you are tempted to skip a workout.
4. Focus on Gratitude
It can be easy to focus on what is going wrong or things we have no control over. But healthy people have a habit of focusing on gratitude and positive vibes.
Focusing on what you are thankful for has been proven to be good for your health, so aim to start practising mindfulness and gratitude.
Take a few minutes each day to reflect on what you are thankful for. You can jot them down in a gratitude journal or write down a few things you are grateful for and keep them in a gratitude jar. When you are feeling stressed or find yourself feeling negative, reach in the jar or read through your journal to remind yourself of the good things in your life.
5. Make Time For Yourself
Along with adopting healthy habits such as drinking enough water and focusing on eating a balanced diet, remember to prioritise self-care. Take a break from what you “should be” doing and spend some time doing what you want to do.
“Me-time” is excellent for improving overall well-being and reducing stress, so aim to set aside time each day or several times a week to do something you love.
Whether that means taking a hot soak in the tub, getting a massage, going for a long walk in nature, hanging out with friends, or seeing a movie, make sure to make time for yourself regularly.
Bonus Habit – Utilise the Right Supplements To Support Your Health Journey
While eating a balanced diet, drinking enough water, and exercising are some of the core habits required to be your healthiest self, the right supplements can help complement your wellness routine.
Whether you want to naturally boost your energy, promote weight loss, support your athletic performance, or fuel your body with nutrients and high-quality protein after a tough workout, Isagenix offers a comprehensive range of powerful supplements to optimise your wellness efforts.
We hope these healthy habits inspire you to add some changes to your fitness and wellness routine. Most importantly, remember to start with small, sustainable changes that you can stick with for the long run.
As always, we are here to help encourage you on your wellness journey by offering product advice, updating our blog with useful tips on healthy eating and exercise, and supporting you as you work toward your goals. Contact us today with any questions or to find out what Isagenix products would best complement your routine and goals.